The Associate Development Manager (ADM) works side-by-side with the leaders of nonprofit organizations that are solving the world's most intractable problems. S/he serves as the client's thought partner in developing a strong funding base and fundraising function defining opportunities and gaps, assessing support required, providing strategic recommendations, backed up by work plans. As the representative of the client to the Smarter Good service team, the ADM is a strong communicator who ensures superior service by translating client needs into smart workflows; guiding the quality of writing and research; and managing the process from planning to execution, results, and evaluation.
The ADM supports the Development Manager (DM) in building a service team of strategists, writers, and researchers that operates from a client-centric perspective; provides consistent, strategic quality service; and communicates in a way that meets the needs of busy Executive Directors and CEOs. S/he works concurrently with 3 to 5 nonprofit organizations that are each working on multiple products and projects, across diverse issue areas and geographies, leading the provision of high-quality service and driving outcomes for each organization.
Key Responsibility Areas
Client Relationship and Service Delivery
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the client account. Manage clients fundraising requirements and build strong relationships with key contacts by maintaining regular check-in calls and meetings.
- Get the team into the client's shoes: Develop a deep understanding of each client's fundraising strengths and weaknesses, unique impact and issue areas, as well as the contexts and landscapes where they operate, and bring the team into this understanding and ensure that deliverables are client-centric.
- Manage execution: Ensure clients satisfaction through seamless delivery of agreed deliverables and timely and thoughtful response to clients requirements within allotted budgets and timelines.
- Build solid account teams: Collaborate extensively with writers and researchers to develop responsive, thoughtful, and client-focused solutions
- Line manage team members: Guide the growth and professional development of associates; provide constructive feedback to enable growth.
- Improve service delivery: Continually solicit client feedback to enhance Smarter Good's service model.
Capability and Capacity Development Support
- Set and continuously manage work deliverables with team members and other stakeholders, ensuring that deliverables are consistent with team capacity
- Lead or participate in internal improvement initiatives
- Support improvement and facilitate knowledge sharing of account and client management best practices
- Lead or collaborate on special projects as may be assigned by Smarter Good management
- Facilitate regular team meetings to discuss issues, share knowledge, share achievements, and support training and development
- At least three (3) years of project management experience either in the nonprofit or NGO sector is preferred
- Understanding of project management and people management principles
- Proven ability to develop project plans and effectively manage physical and human resources
- Proficient in using technology to analyze and report information, including document management and database tools
- Exceptional relationship-building skills, particularly in cross-cultural backgrounds
- Experience and/or genuine interest in international development, social entrepreneurship, and the nonprofit sector
What We Offer
- An opportunity to work alongside passionate and inspiring changemakers in a global company that enables progressive nonprofits and social enterprises
- Remote-first setup with an opportunity to work in an office with your team occasionally
- Health and life insurance package with wellness and other unique benefits
- Professional development opportunities
- Paid time-off
Smarter Good is an innovative global professional services firm for social sector organizations, with a strong social mission and focus on systemic change. Our clients are social entrepreneur-led organizations, each with measurable impact and unique theory of change. We create more impact by scaling their solutions to match the size of the need, helping solve our world's most intractable problems. Our clients focus on a spectrum of issues, including poverty alleviation, conservation, workforce development, economic empowerment, clean water, and education.